Something to know about me; I love lemon flavoured anything. Really, anything. (Well, except an actual lemon, funnily enough!)
So you can probably guess that one of my favourite things in the world is lemon cake.
However, eating lemon cake, with its delicious sweet and sour lemon icing (ugh, so good) regularly isn’t exactly the healthiest, so there is this “lemon bread” option. It’s less sugary than a lemon cake and more of a savoury, hearty buttery lemon bread.
Either way, it’s delicious and a good substitute to lemon cake. What’s also great is that this recipe is as simple as can be; you’ll be done in about an hour and you can enjoy this bread for the next few days.
Simple Lemon Bread (Gluten Free)
Makes a 9″ loaf
- 125g butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups self raising glutes-free flour, sifted
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon finely grease lemon rind
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Grease a 9 inch loaf pan. Line base with baking paper.
3. Beat the butter, sugar and lemon rind in a small bowl until nice and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and continue beating until combined.
4. Alternatively stir in the flour and milk in two batches. Meaning: add flour, add milk, add flour, add milk.
5. Add the lemon juice and mix thoroughly. Spread mixture into pan and bake for 45 minutes.
Enjoy, and have a wonderful 2023 ahead!
Note: To keep, store this lemon bread in an airtight container for up to 3 days in a cool, dry place.
If you’ve enjoyed this post, please share it on Pinterest: