Here’s a healthier spaghetti recipe that my family and I love; for those who cannot live without pasta (me) but also want something a bit… well, healthier. Better for you. Less heavy.
While my authentic spaghetti bolognese is a favourite, it can be a bit heavy and not too healthy. This one uses lighter minced chicken, is full of yummy vegetable of zucchini and made with fresh tomatoes. And that’s about it!
Zucchinis are one of my all-time favourite vegetables (although botanically, it’s considered a fruit). It’s rich in vitamins, minerals, such as Vitamin A, Vitamin C, manganese, potassium, magnesium and vitamin K. It also has some amounts of iron, calcium and zinc, which is just awesome.
And of course, using fresh tomatoes in this recipes yields all its benefits: tomatoes are full of antioxidant beta-carotene, and rich in vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, vitamin k1, potassium and folate.
For the pasta, if you look for healthier versions of gluten free pasta such as pulse pasta, or chickpea pasta, to keep this meal a tad healthier and not so filling.
Another option, is to pair this with zuchinni or carrot “noodles”, or brown rice, or even quinoa — it’s such a fresh, delicious recipe, you and your family are sure to love this.
Chicken Zucchini Spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 500g minced chicken
- 4 medium fresh tomatoes, blanched and chopped
- 1 medium yellow zucchini
- 5 tablespoon tomato paste
- gluten-free spaghetti
1. Put large pot over medium heat and add the olive oil and fry the garlic and onion for 1 minute, then add the minced chicken and fry for about 5 minutes until brown.
2. Add the carrots and zucchini and fry until vegetables are soft. Then add the tomatoes and bay leaf.
3. Add the tomato paste, with half cup water and stir thoroughly and bring to a boil. Then lower heat to medium. Simmer for 45 minutes.
4. Before the 45 minutes is up, cook your gluten free spaghetti according to packet instructions.
5. When sauce is done, remove bay leaf and serve.
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe, please share it on Pinterest: